Hello, my name is Carlos Contreras and I am studying 1º BACH in Colegio Arzobispal. As you can imagine, I love learning new languages. At this moment, I am studying two languages apart from Spanish, which are German and English. I would like to share with you some reasons why it is important to learn foreign languages in order to encourage people to do it.
First of all, learning foreign languages is a privilege and there are a lot of opportunities to do it. You can go to an exchange programme in another country, you can have classes with a personal teacher or in an academy. Learning a foreign language is not easy and requires a big effort, but the most important thing is to be interested in it.
Foreign languages are based on three aspects. These are listening, reading and writing. You need to work in all of them. In my opinion, there are many options to practice these aspects. Reading books, watching films or writing stories can be some ways with the purpose of achieving a better level. According to my experience, doing this can be very helpful.
For the future, the fact of having a good certificate in your expedient is a positive point in order to be selected for the job you want. In the present, it’s very well valued knowing new languages and it allows you to work abroad.
What’s more, going abroad will not only improve your level and language skills, it offers you the opportunity of meeting new people and maybe in the future, new friends. At first, it is quite difficult to feel comfortable in a place where you don’t live everyday and with people who speak differently than you, but it’s a matter of time.
Here I showed you some tips that can help you in the process of studying a new language.
– Be brave! Try to speak as much as you can. The key to improving your level is making mistakes again and again and learning from them. Speaking a lot will improve your pronunciation too.
– Don’t keep the doubts! Try to solve all your questions with your teacher or someone who knows more than you.
– Take advantage of all the chances people offer you like journeys, projects or even exhibitions. I am sure you will learn so much and you might feel more attracted to the language.
– Try to use your own words. Don’t abuse looking in the dictionary and try to explain the unknown words using other words which you are familiar with.
– Enjoy with it! You can have fun learning foreign languages too. Nowadays, there are many creative ways to study English, German, Italian, Chinese… A language doesn’t necessarily imply boredom, so be imaginative.
To conclude, as we have seen, learning foreign languages it’s wonderful and has many benefits in the present and in the future. I encourage everyone to learn them, so go for it!